Sunday, February 24, 2008


Ying Szeto (Carol)
January-25-08 revision
Level-5
An event that changed my life
About three years ago, I received an important letter from the American Consulate and knew that my immigration application had been approved. Actually, I forgot I had applied for immigration to the U S .This happened ten years ago, and it caused me to have an enormous change in my life. At first, I had contradictory thoughts in my mind. Do I really need to immigrate to the U S in that present moment? Immigrate or stay? This tough decision made me confused. However, fresh air, blue sky, sweet tap water, mom and sisters, all made me happy and comfortable after arriving in Chicago. Eventually, I realized that immigration that was right for me. However, gradually I came across many difficult problems which I didn’t think about before. For example, language, food and friends, were things made me always not in a good mood. My English was not fluent enough, so it was a barrier for me to communicate with Americans. I wasn’t used to frozen food. The most important change was that I lost my friends. I felt so lonely, but three years have passed. Consequently, my current state is entirely different from the early stage of my migration. Studying in school has let me improve English and make a lot of friends. Day by day, I have become familiar with the places where I could buy fresh poultry and fish. Moreover, I got a driver’s license which is something I had never thought I could get it in my life. All in all, the letter I received from the American Consulate which made my life turn to a new chapter, though sometimes I miss what I left behind. Anyway, I hope to become part to the “American Salad Bowl “in the near future

No comments: