Saturday, February 23, 2008


An event that change my life

Graduating from high school opened my world. I came to the US as an exchange student from Thailand. I spent about ten months in Gilbert, Arizona. I lived with an American family that hosted me. My first month was quite tough. Adapting to new culture was not as easy as I has expected. There were so many problems happened. However, everything got better after we talked. Understanding the differences was the clue. It took me a few months to get used to the American’s life. However, I felt great after all. Life at school was fun, I had a few friends who like to know about Thai’s culture, and I taught them. Exchanging experiences was much valuated. After I graduated from Desert Hills High School, and my life was totally changed. I came to Chicago right after the last day of school, and I was so excited to start my new life as a pre-adult in Chicago. A few weeks after I got here, I decided to work at a Thai restaurant in downtown Chicago. I wanted to save money for college. Life at work was so different from school. Working as a waitress was a hard job. I had to work about ten hours a day. Starting at 10 am. - 9 pm. at night. At lunch time the restaurant was so crowded. At first, I didn’t know how to handle the crowd, I was scared. It took me a while to get used to it. Working with people was very hard, especially working with new people every day. When I worked, I had to split between life and work. I can’t bring problems to work. I won’t be able to work if I had to carry the problem with me all the time. As time passed by, I have learned how to manage problems. I appreciate my life more. Everything in the past was a very great lesson, but life goes on. There is tomorrow waiting to be discovered. I wouldn’t stop myself from learning. Life is not easy as we know, but it not too tough either if I give it a try.

No comments: